Quarta-feira, 20 de Abril de 2011

Mission-style lamp

 

Finally I decide to try a very simple electric work. When I build “Villa Joana” (my grand daughter’s dollhouse), I had the first contact with electrical materials. In the beginning I was a little nervous… my knowledge in electricity field is not enough and I fear everything could explode… but, nothing happened so I started being more confident. When I was installing the lamps in the house I thought it would be great if I succeed building some lamps. So, I decide to start with this simple design. I saw it in an issue from February 2006 of “Dollhouse MINIATURES” (page 38). I didn’t follow the instructions but I copied the general idea.

 

 

The author is Fran Casselman. I couldn’t find any site or Blog but if you search with Google or any other browser there are lots of references as well as a page on Facebook.

I also decide to introduce something different from the presented model so, I asked a friend to cut a decoration for the lampshade. I draw it and he did the laser cut.

It was not so easy to improvise materials for making the electrical connections. I used a small 9v bulb we generally have in car’s instruments like miles counter. Those bulbs have outside wires so I had to solder them to the electrical wire. Amazingly I didn’t melt the tinny wires!!! Beginner’s luck? May be… But it works till now! Problem: the bulb is not replaceable!

In the middle of the four wood pillars there is a thin brass tube. The electrical wire goes inside. I had to carve the top of the four pillars in a half aspheric shape to fit a brass piece that serves as support. Inside this brass piece I introduced a hard plastic tube to isolate and prevent heating. Well, this description may seem a bit complicated but if you look at the photos I’m sure you’ll see it clearly.

I had to create a standard model to cut the four brass wires that sustain the lampshade (all with the same size and plied exactly equal). It was a little difficult to fix them once I didn’t want to use glue but I like the result.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                            

 

 

       

 

         

 

The four pillars around the brass tube are kept in place by brass bands fixed with tinny brass nails.

 

 

There are still a lot of building challenges I must solve before I try my own designs but I intend to do it soon.

I have a lot of new pieces in mind.


publicado por perfectminiatures-onmymind-mbryton às 18:31
link do post | comentar | favorito
Powered by WebRing.

.Abril 2012

Dom
Seg
Ter
Qua
Qui
Sex
Sab

1
2
3
4
5
6
7

8
9
10
11
12
13
14

15
16
17
18
19
20
21

22
23
24
25
26
27
28

29
30


.mais sobre mim

.pesquisar

 

.posts recentes

. Street market

. fishing dock

. Two landscapes

. Lady with tulips

. Cofee time - pastel paiti...

. Happy Easter and a vase f...

. Trying again...

. GUILD ARTISAN MEMBERS 201...

. IGMA submission

. INTERNATIONAL GUILD OF MI...

.arquivos

. Abril 2012

. Março 2012

. Fevereiro 2012

. Agosto 2011

. Maio 2011

. Abril 2011

. Novembro 2010

. Março 2010

. Fevereiro 2010

. Janeiro 2010

. Dezembro 2009

. Outubro 2009

. Agosto 2009

. Julho 2009

. Junho 2009

. Abril 2009

. Março 2009

. Janeiro 2009

. Dezembro 2008

. Novembro 2008

. Outubro 2008

. Setembro 2008

. Agosto 2008

. Julho 2008

.tags

. todas as tags

.links

Check out..
Check out the Top 50 Dollhouse Miniatures sites!
..these Dollhouse Miniatures sites!
blogs SAPO

.subscrever feeds